Sunday 19 June 2016

From Russia with love!














Not by choice but I am in Russia - ahead of schedule!!!

Today's 'ups and downs' are rarely more pronounced. Fast roads, sunshine and a tail wind to Orsha. Bike safely stored away in Hotel Orsha, reservation paperwork good and then a rapid change of well being - scrutiny of visa indicates expiry today and that means midnight today!! Travelling into Russia tomorrow is unacceptable, telephone call with Police, no flexibility ......... start cycling soon and you can make the border!

Another 70+kms and I am in Krasny, Russia and the sun is setting fast. Three guys from Belarus speak English and save me from a night in the woods. First they find a small hostel - it's closed so they locate the owner who immediately drives over and opens up. The ATM is located next and I pay the owner in Russian rubbles. The whole place is mine for the night and WiFi is available too!





















Thankyou 3 guys from Belarus who just happen to be in Krasny, you have been wonderful 'ambassadors' for your country....

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Tom. It`s English teacher. I'm glad to hear you're doing fine. I wish you meet only good people on your way. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking in Timur. I hope you had a good evening after sorting out my predicament. Thanks again. Smolensk has a good historic center.

      Delete
  2. Sorry, I accidentally posted four identical messages ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, Tom - you're ahead of schedule!! It could be said that your Russian!!!!
    Sorry about that!
    It's really fascinating to follow your travels - and the photos are quality - specially when I zoom out (on the map) and see the size of Russia compared, say, to China! The geography lessons - and cultural notes - are most welcome.
    I don't like Russian dolls - they're so full of themselves!
    Wales winning 3-0 and sure to go through to next stage - well done them.
    Cheers,
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So full of themselves, very good!
      If any Russians saw the match here I would be surprised. Its a small town attitude in Drogobuzh. Dodging the mosquitos is the important game here on the River Dnieper

      Delete
  4. What lovely guys you met and I am so glad they were able to help. How are you managing to communicate so well? They must speak English? haha! I am very glad a night was not spent in the woods, that would have been quite something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really good guys and I respect the time they gave to sorting my predicament. Yes they had a good grasp of English and one had recently been an English teacher

      Delete