Wednesday 15 June 2016

Minsk


Bakeries must only exist to prepare 'long life' breads and sweet confectionary. I have not seen or eaten a piece of fresh bread since I entered Belarus. Finding tasty food in the shops is a problem. Finding the shops is the first problem - they don't look like shops. The one in the photo does have a sign over but many in the villages don't!

A bit of military hardware on display at an elevated location in the hilly landscape on the way into Minsk. I find a track into the suburbs. Cycle paths/pavements make it was into the centre.

The manager of my hotel speaks English so I can find out a bit about Minsk. Trinity Hostel is in the rebuilt one time historical centre and is pretty small. It is a tranquil 'oasis' in a mainly high rise shopping complex centre. It is a token effort really but good for me.

Belarus was of course once partitioned off to the Russian Empire after the collapse of the Polish & Lithuanian Commonwealth and became the Belarusian Soviet Social Republic by name after the Russians beat back the Germans in WWl. In the war against Fascism Belarus enters WWll in 1941 and interestingly  they refer to it as The Great Patriotic War. Resistance gave way and the Germans took occupation of Belarus and a resistance movement began culminating in the Red Army liberating the city in 1944.
At the dissolution of the USSR Alexander Lukashenko was elected president in 1994 and is there for his lifetime?

It's curious to see these historical events from these more easterly locations.





















The card from Sandra because its my birthday 🎂

2 comments:

  1. Alexander Lukashenko is only 61 so he could be in office a while - so there may not be a change in the country for some time. I don't think I'll be rushing to there for a holiday. However, I do think it must be fascinating to see the different cultures. Hopefully things will be a bit more friendly in Russia - but stay clear of the football hooligans !! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have met a couple of Belarusians who have been really nice to talk to. Stanislava and Kirill very nice couple and modern in outlook.
    My current hotel isn't a place you would enjoy other than from an alternative overnight x

    ReplyDelete