Wednesday 22 June 2016

Viaz'ma by night










Tuesday

This day goes down as one of the toughest and most nerve racking cycling days in my life. It corrected any thought that reaching Moscow was going to be plain sailing!

All the back up equipment was in use by the time I arrived at the level crossing in Viaz'ma at 11pm. I didn't know the time, only that it was dark, concentrating only on avoiding the endless deep potholes and moving forward.

On my knees earlier in the most violent storm that took place (navigating around a remote industrial plant) I knew weather was key to progress. The dust tracks became almost impassable - my journey doubly hard!

5 comments:

  1. Crikey, sounds tough going Dad! Moscow in your reach nonetheless, don't falter at the last stages!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can think about reaching Moscow now - I have to as its tomorrow's final day's riding!!

      Delete
  2. Dear Tom - I love Natalie's encouraging messages (both) - it's a bit like the marathon (I imagine) when the crowd will you on.
    As you say, the going has got tough but I'm sure the end being in sight must help. There seems to be a similarity between your experience of the road surfaces and the crowds struggling to get into Glastonbury.
    Feel a bit guilty that I cruised around Bristol Harbour last evening, drinking beer and eating grub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grub in Russia so far has been basic at best and beers are all bottled. Moscow will be different I hope and I will find out tomorrow

      Delete
  3. Blimey - sounds tough Dad. WEll done getting through xxx

    ReplyDelete